Thursday, September 11, 2008

Surgery day

Jackson had his first surgery this morning to have tubes placed in his ears. Poor kid had 11 or 12 ear infections in the past 6-7 months. Hopefully this brings an end to that!

He did amazing this morning! He was nervous about all the Dr's & nurse's in his face, but then they gave him some loopy meds to mellow him out and let me tell you, it was hilarious. Probably the only time I'll appreciate seeing my kid drugged up ;) He was all smiles and giggles within about 5 minutes. He had no problems with the Anesthesiologist taking him to the back room, and according to her, he never cried - not even when they put the mask on to knock him out (which is completely opposite of his big brother when he had this done). Yay! And trust me, it made it easier on me having them take him back without him screaming and crying for me. After about 45 min (which were the longest 45 min I've ever experienced!!!), the Dr came out to tell me it went perfectly. About 30 seconds later, the Anesthesiologist got me and brought me back. This was the most heartbreaking part of it all. He was still out of it, but screaming his head off. The nurse was rocking him, and she told me that although I'm Mommy, I still won't be able to soothe him while he's coming out of anesthesia. And boy was she right! The poor kid screamed, then stopped and slept on my shoulder, then screamed, and slept... not to mention as he was screaming, he was climbing all over me (with his eyes still closed, mind you). His head was floppy as if he was a newborn, so it was pretty difficult to hold his head steady as my 29 pounder was climbing all over me. After about 15-20min of this, he finally started opening his eyes and waking up more. He chugged a cup of juice and out the door we went. He slept the whole ride home and is now playing and happy as if nothing happened.

I of course took pics of him in his little hospital gown, but I still don't have a card reader to download pics on my computer yet (my little bro is buying me one today). I have a TON of pics to post on here, hopefully soon :)

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm so glad to hear the big guy is happy and content now! How sad and frustrating that he was so upset immediately afterwards :( Hopefully this puts a stop to his ear infections!
~Danielle

Amy said...

I'm glad all went well! Can't wait to see more pics!!! :-)